Who Am I?

I am a graduate of Christian Service University College. I hold Bachelor of Arts in communication studies with public relations as my speciality. 

On March 13th, 2018, I received the news I was expecting. 

”Your application to pursue the Erasmus Mundus Journalism programme, Media and Globalisation, has received careful consideration. With almost 500 applicants and only 90 available places, entry to the programme is extremely competitive. With this in mind, we take great pleasure to inform you that the Erasmus Mundus Journalism Masters Consortium has decided to offer you a programme placement.”

After reading few lines of the admission letter, I kept my composure and smiled within. I called few friends to share the news with them. They were excited for me. Having known about the Erasmus Mundus programme for a longer time, I consider it one of the best Master's scholarships you can have. Master in Journalism, Media and Globalisation, is a programme that has been offered under the European Union's prestigious scholarship scheme since 2005.

Later, I read the admission letter thoroughly then I realized I have a huge task on my hands. I had hopes of banging in full scholarship which covers tuition fees, a travel/installation contribution, insurance, a monthly subsistence allowance, and administration costs but I was offered a self-funded admission for the programme beginning in Aarhus University on September 3, 2018. My hope got vanished. I can't further my education in a programme I had toiled for.

It was my first time applying with high hopes that I would get through. But it wasn't to be then. Few friends encouraged me to surge on. Some were ready to help. My family and the programme administrator encouraged me to accept the self-funded option. I accepted the admission offer.

I knew it was not feasible due to lack of adequate financial resources. It was enticing, but I knew I couldn't afford to pay for higher education on my own, especially outside of Ghana. I went into my savings and gathered resources. I was able to secure money for my first-semester tuition, air ticket, accommodation and few things. As I was preparing towards my new environment, it struck me to ask myself how I am going to survive in Denmark and Swansea with the Little money I have saved? I had to make a really hard decision. 

After few days, I told myself this is not the end of the road.I wrote to the programme administrator to cancel my admission offer. She asked why and my answer was brief... Inadequate finance. She was hurt because we had established good relations. 

You can imagine what I went through.I stayed up late at night, made every effort to get in. I quizzed myself... What was the point of working so hard when I can't even go? I did my part as a hard-working student, but because of finances, my dreams got shuttered. I love education. It was heartbreaking.

Following that disappointment, my job at Class Media Group also came to an end. It was a very difficult moment for me but I told myself I wasn't giving up. 

Currently, I am home unoccupied, but I know where I am coming from and my destination. I wrote this to encourage you. No matter the situation, don't lose hope for there is a brighter day at the end of the tunnel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wofa Yaw Asubonteng Bounces back from Retirement Joins Fox 97.9 !!

What a match! Angel Fm Sports presenter Bright marries (Photos)

See all the Photos- Film Producer weds Actress Matilda Asare