Exclusive: Opoku Afriyie opens up about his departure to save the investment of BantamaHene and numerous fights they fought in the studios of Silver FM




Opoku Afriyie


I interviewed Opoko Afriyie strictly about his profession, family life and the entertainment industry.

Sports presenter, Richmond Opoku Afriyie made his name in the media industry when he joined Fox 97.9 with his superb knowledge in Ghana Football. Enjoying a highly successful career both on and off radio, I decided to pick his brain for an in-depth interview, which he gladly obliged with.

These are highly sensitive issues that he wouldn’t have spoken about if not the close and harmonious relationship existing between us.

Opoki gives us all the exclusives here in our up close & personal interview! 

Read on....

Q :  Why the move to Silver Fm?

A :  Increase in value, meaning I wanted the bar to be raised.

Q :  Did you get that value you wanted at Silver?

A :  Why not bro. I received twice at Silver FM what I was receiving at Fox. I was in a chamber and hall apartment at Fox, but had a three bedroom apartment at Silver FM and now moving to a whole house at Fox as part of my enticement package.  This is to give you an idea of what I mean by increase in value.

Q :  We heard so many things about you and your brothers at Silver Fm. We heard the clash of egos. Something of that sort happened?

A : Very well, you are not too far from right bro, you know I can’t lie to you.

Q : Ok! So it happened?

A :  For what happened, I will say is simply fear and hatred. Some colleagues said BantamaHene is too close to me than he is with them and one of them openly said in the hearing of the entire sports crew that he hates me. He and some guys have planned to nail me. This was in the hearing of the whole crew and the general manager.  What I sense was disunity and individualism. The host lost control over everything because he has not managed stars of such nature before. Outsiders also manipulated the show.

Q : Be truthful to me, this led to a fight?

A : Fight oh bro, we fought several times as a matter of fact I can't count. I kept mute because I feared for Bantamahene's investment and the fact that am known and needs to portray a good character to the outside world. Initially, it was between me and them, then it turns to Super and them. 

Q :  So when did you finally decide you want to move from Silver?

A : I decided to move when the offer came just to save BantamaHene and my image.

Q : I heard you were not in good terms with Afro, that’s why you left for Silver. Can you confirm or deny?

A :  Aww bro Afro is my Dad and will forever remain as such. Ask yourself why he would spend so much to lure me from his brother BantamaHene.

Q :  So coming back to Fox wasn’t a problem?

A:  Not at all.  It was just a telephone call from Afro. He said boy this is the time for you to come back. These were his words, “can't you see they are killing you slowly, can't you see you've been undermined, can't you see they are not utilizing your potential boy, come let me make you big again and I know you will revive my sports."

Q: But I heard you pleaded with Afro. You asked Afro to forgive you and accept you back. That’s not true?

A:   Afro paid huge for my comeback. He paid billion to BantamaHene and paid me money and a house in addition.  Tell me why will a man spend so huge if I pleaded? 

Q:  This attests to the fact that you are the darling boy of Afro at Fox Fm?

A:  I won’t say that, but maybe is because of my nature and the name Opoku. Afro told me when I was about to move to Angel with Kankam that they can go, but you can’t go boy, don’t forget I love you and you are my son.  Afro personally gives me his personal shirts to wear so as his son in U S A. Francis Opoku Junior will always buy me shirt whenever the mum is coming down. Mrantehene fetches Afro more money than any other presenter so I will say he is the darling boy, but I will say am the son of Afro. Why will I reject Angel FM three times and other stations? I love Fox and its my station.

Q:   How was the feeling like when you entered the studios of Fox again?

A:  Let me tell you, there was light at Fox when they heard of my coming and there came the spirit of Fox when I started to speak through the microphones of  Fox FM.

Q:  The guys never fought against your return? I heard they opposed to it.

A:  One of them opposed it and was nearly sacked. Listen bro is business not brotherhood. Afro is a business man and thinks of money not feelings.

Q:  Do you think Fox is competing well at the 10am - 12pm slot?  Considering Angel, Nhyira, Boss FM, Angel FM...

A:  Bro have self confidence and always believe in yourself. Wonim adwuma wonsuro broni. Those shows are not competitors. Not that am over confident oo but what Fox can do is beyond them and they know. Bro just gives us a little time and you will see wonders. The show was very down, but bro gradually hey the show is picking up. : If it comes to facts in the local league they are not competitors at all when it comes to hitting hard wow they are not competitors. I have a very good relationship with Rockson. He is my brother and he shares my ideas. Rockson is one person Afro loves too much.

Q: Can you tell me what led to the departure of Nico? He is like a Brother to you so what happened?

A:  Hmmm, tough one.  I did all that I could, but Afro had his opinion. It was a decision from Afro.

Q:  Do you see yourself leaving Fox a day to come?

A:  Why not, but not now because that will kill my career if not TV. I will only move to a station in Accra and that will be for TV not radio.

Q:  How do you see sports programmes in Kumasi now?

A:  We are far beyond those in Accra. The difference is huge, but we are enemies. Accra is not like Kumasi where presenters will meet after shows to share ideas and business plans.

Q:  Why do you think Kumasi sports presenters are not ‘one’?

A: Kumasi presenters are like the Israelites and the Palestinians.  There are wars and hatred. I won’t lie about anything.

Q:   Some of your fans say you shout too much when talking on air. Do you get disappointed when you read and hear such comments?

A: The shouting makes me who I am and that keep me going. I am not disturbed at all with what people say about me because they are the very people that keeps on praising me. Listen to the message, not the shout. One funny thing is if I decide to go low my boss Afro will sack me.  The same listeners will call and ask you, are you sick whenever I go low.
Q:  I know you are a family man, how challenging is it?

A:   Jehovah is in control. Ray I am able to do all things because of God who strengthens me if not for Jehovah Hmmm. I spent huge on remittances and school fees do you think is easy to school your child at Abraham Lincoln and Royal Montessori?

Q:   I know you love entertainment aside sports? What’s your take on entertainment in Kumasi?

A:   Bro powerful I enjoy good shows from you. You are tough and always want to be on top that is the spirit. Never relent in your efforts and let no man despise your effort. I listen to entertainment shows a lot, especially yours and Loving Cee at fox on Saturdays.

 Q : What will be your last wish on earth?

A : To be a minister of the gospel and that is my calling. I have in total seven Reverend Ministers in my family including my Dad. I will one day quit sports not radio to be a minister of the gospel and that is happening soon. I'm getting married early next year and will start my pastoral work from there.
 
Thanks for your time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wofa Yaw Asubonteng Bounces back from Retirement Joins Fox 97.9 !!

What a match! Angel Fm Sports presenter Bright marries (Photos)

See all the Photos- Film Producer weds Actress Matilda Asare